Welcome to our online gallery shop

Problem solving the cutting of 7mil Mylar

The following blog post communicates an attempt to problem solve the cutting of 7mil mylar using the zing Orbit 24". A small section of the main image (birch tree) was used to achieve a clean consistent cut before embarking on the larger stencil image.

A large 28''x30'' carrier mat was prepared using repositionable adhesive.  I should have washed it with soapy water before recoating it.  I am therefore not sure if the mat was coated correctly. The surface of the mat was almost wet tacky when used.  As I used the mat the glue was congealing into dirty lumps that resembled dirty adhesive left behind after peeling of a label. You can see this sticking to the mylar.  Perhaps I used too much glue.  The mylar was firmly stuck to the carrier mat however.

I experimented by placing the small trial samples on different areas of the mat to test for consistency.

I sat the 24'' orbit on a long table.  Using large A1 drawing boards I created a flat surface at each end.  This was at the hight of the cutting plain.  At this time I don't have cutting plates.  The cutting plates appear to sit lower that the cutting plane. I wonder why this is? They are also not that wide.  I am really not sure how these are designed to support the carrier sheet.

STEP 1-3

Step 1-  Advised settings for 7mil mylar, red blade, 1 cut, speed 15, 65 pressure, 15 post-it notes and up speed 11.  Started with this setting but the cutter only scored the mylar.

Step 2- Increased blade 1/4 stop.

Step 3- Continued to increase blade 1/4 stop.



Step 4- Increased pressure to 80.  Why is there a double line showing on the image.  I also noticed this on the SVG?

I wonder what this double line is?  I turned of the fill and stroke and it was still there.  I managed to get rid of it by clicking on the last layer on the layers panel.  This stopped the cutter cutting out the border of the stencil.

Step 5- Increased pressure to 90 and turned the blade another 1/4 turn clockwise to extend more blade length.  Started multi cutting x2.

Step 6- Increase blade another 1/4 turn.



Step 7- Increase blade another 1/4 turn and reduce speed to 11. Starting to worry about blade protruding too much.Not cutting into the mat.  This was unusual.

Step 8- Tried same cut agin only in a smaller size.  Oh dear not working.  Why is this.  Surely it should be able to cut any size.

Step 9-Tried same setting again only on a bigger size.  This worked reasonably well so thought I would try and 15'' x 15'' section. 


STEPS 10-12

Step 10- Disaster.  An uneven cut was produced.

Step 11- Increased post-it notes to 17.  Increased up speed to 15.  Disaster again

Step 12- The cutter is now cutting the multicut x2 in different places.  Another line issue.  I also increased pressure to 100 and added another 1/4 turn of the blade.

It is now time to scream out loud. LOL.

← Older Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published